Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Waves

Uppuveli Beach, Sri Lanka

At the guest house, I immediately connected to a French family who were on vacation with their three children. They invited me to join them for dinner at one of the street restaurants. Kothu roti, a mix of chopped vegetables, bread and spices, was the best meal I have had on the island. It was fascinating to see Marie and Laurent completely immersing in the local culture and their kids curiously discovering Sri Lanka. They departed the next day after playing a farewell song on their guitar.

La famille francaise
Best kothu in town!Good dessert at the bread shopFinish with a cup of tea
Favorite spot in town

Right next to me, two Italian couples had moved in. Whereas during the past two days I had polished my French, it was now time to practice some Italian. It was a pleasure to discover the little restaurants and tea bars with them. In the afternoon, we rented two tuk-tuks to take us to the hot wells. On a Sunday, this place was full of locals who wanted to take a bath in the warm soft water. There were five or six wells, from which you pull the water in a bucket and pour it over your head.


On the way back, we wanted to find some banana leaves to use as plates for our evening meal. It was quite a challenge to explain our intentions to our tuk-tuk drivers.

Mirko and the banana leaf
Italianos
BelloBellissima
In the evening, we grilled some fresh fish from the sea over a fire about 50m from the water. Imagine the atmosphere when the wind picked up speed, you listen to the waves crashing in and are mesmerized by the fire.


I was repeatedly amazed how easily I could connect with people from different cultures and backgrounds. I was hardly ever alone. Whereas it was an absolute pleasure to spend my time with them, I did not quite find the peace for writing.


The beach was a wide stretch of fine sand. Sometimes, I could walk right till the end without meeting anyone. In the early mornings, just after watching the sun rise at around 6.30am, I would walk with the water chasing my feet. I was curious to see what little treasures the waves had brought to the shore overnight. The local fishermen who were busy pulling their nets greeted me politely. Even the soldier smiled as he passed by. Nowhere else in Sri Lanka was it more pleasurable to walk than here. Noone came running after me, screaming 'Madam, madam! What is your name? Where are you from? Are you married?'.

Daily ceremony (courtesy of Rafa)

I sat on my terrace and stared at the waves moving in and out. This was a perfect spot to take a break and swing in my hammock. I decided to stay another two days. And hopefully I would get some writing done!

View from the hammock

3 comments:

Isabel said...

Noriiita! I get all excited every time I see something new in your blog. A post never comes alone: there is always a long string of new stories attached to it! You must now be on your last week as a solo traveler in Sri Lanka: I am very happy that you enjoyed so much the experience! I am looking forward to meeting you some time soon in India. I will be reaching Bangalore in only five days! Lots of love, Isa xxx

Clive said...

Have to agree with Isabel!
And the photos are fantastic too. I love that one above of the two girls. The little one's excitement is so real!!

Annette + Andreas said...

Hallo Nora, ich glaube fast wir haben da was verpasst und haetten auch zur Ostkueste fahren sollen. Doch Martin den wir in Ella kennengelernt haben, sagte dort ist Regenzeit und nach einem Tag sei er wieder abgehauen. Die Suedkueste ist auch sehr schoen aber ein wenig touristischer. Tolle Bilder die du im Blog hast. Liebe Gruesse von Annette und Andreas