Monday, February 22, 2010

Inspiration

The following day, I decided to stay in the guest house all day and forced myself to write for my project. Unsuccessfully, I kept falling asleep, washed my laundry (by hand of course, so this can take a long time), and found other time wasters. At the end of the day, unable to focus, I found refuge on the roof terrace. But even the food did not make me happy today. I was out of balance and assessed myself to find the reasons.

Kandy did not offer me much peace and I was ready to move on. But before leaving town the next day, I called a number of a friend of a friend who lives in Kandy. Not knowing this person at all, I introduced myself and Rani spontaneously welcomed me with boxes of teas. We talked for a while and soon found common ground in her project for children's education. In a nutshell, she uses all her money and time to fund education for 50 disadvantaged children around Sri Lanka (children affected by the tsunami or the war, often orphans). Her thought was to teach children in the middle East and to re-invest the salary in her project. I suggested to find other ways for seeking funds and offered my help to develop her proposal. I spontaneously decided to stay in Kandy for another night and over dinner we discussed the project in more details. I asked many questions to understand the project's intentions and constraints. Back in my elements, I was analysing the situation while soaking up information. Very thankful for my advice and opinion, she said I made her day. Little she knew how she had given my stay in Kandy a positive twist.

Back in the guest house I met a French-Canadian who works as production manager in the movie industry in Montreal. Jean-Francois is currently on a 3-month trip through Cambodia, Burma, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, we could not speak for a long time because of my dinner invitation. He seemed like another inspiring character.

No comments: