Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Heritage

I started the day with an early morning trek to the Single Tree Hill just behind my guest house. After 5 minutes, the path ended at the Teabush Hotel. The friendly staff directed me to a staircase leading right into the tea plantation. I followed the tea pluckers' paths winding up the hill while the hotel staff were still standing there and waving at me. At the top of the hill, the view over Nuwara Eliya, the lake and the mountain range was breathtaking. I sat under a big tree and indulged on some strawberries and a guava. There was no soul in sight and I enjoyed the silence of being alone. I discovered that the tree was used for prayers and offerings. A small altar had been installed at the foot of the tree.


I continued my walk across the hill top. The views on the other side were blocked by massive satellite towers and a barking dog chased me downhill. I followed a gravel road passing a temple and a monastery. A tea plucker was waving at me as I took some pictures. When I came closer, suddenly one of the tea pluckers jumped in front of me and posed herself 'photo, photo'. I suspected that she was expecting money, so I made clear that I only had my camera. She insisted on her photograph being taken, followed by many other women. Knowing that their work is very hard - they must pick 50kg of tea leaves every day for little money - I suddenly felt guilty for my leisure morning walk. All I could offer them was a smile.


In the afternoon, I visited another remainder of the colonial times: the Victoria Garden had been founded by the English over 100 years ago. Hungry, I aimed for a park bench to unpack my lunch. I had not yet taken the first bite - and when I am hungry I am not particularly social - when one of the men working at the park approached me. The usual question catalogue followed. My answer to whether I like Sri Lanka, chewing on my street food: 'Yes, but sometimes people talk a little too much. Sometimes, I just want to sit and eat in peace instead of answering many questions. Sometimes I don't want to talk.' He wiggled with his head, smiled and concluded that maybe it was better to leave.


1 comment:

Isabel said...

Hello there! Everything okay? I will be in Kerala around 1st of April. Let me know where you are ;-)