Monday, February 8, 2010

Peace

Bus from Kandy to Dambulla, Sri Lanka

The best thing about my trip is not knowing what will happen the next day. From Kandy, I could head east into the tea plantations, south towards the beaches, or north towards the ancient sites. In the morning, I woke up and decided for the latter. From Kandy, I took the bus to Dambulla. The bus was crowded as always and I appreciated the advantage of being (relatively) small. About half way down the road, a couple with a young child stepped on the bus. I offered the lady my seat, but she happily declined. Instead she put her little sleeping girl on my lap.

Tasmida, age three, woke up for a moment and looked at me with her huge brown eyes. After welcoming her, she smiled and quickly fell asleep again in my arms. When I looked up, everyone around me was beaming with genuine welcoming smiles. To me, it was the most beautiful moment in Sri Lanka. There is nothing more peaceful than holding a sleeping child. Gaining the trust of a stranger to give you their child and for a moment blending in with the locals was a gift I could not be thankful enough for.

No comments: