Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Little Dream

Amaya Lake, Sri Lanka: A Recommendation

This guest house is about 9km east of Dambulla at Amaya Lake. The location is stunning. There are no other tourists and the place only has three rooms. Sharing meals in the family's house certainly gives an insight into rural life. Outside the rooms is a terrace with seats and hammocks, a nice place to rest and do nothing for a day. Rooms are basic, but clean. The owner offered the room for 800 Rs, which is one of the cheapest rates I found so far. This was the first time in Sri Lanka that I had to use my own sheets and towel. Without the ceiling fan working, the buzzing of the mosquitoes kept me awake all night. Home-made dinner was a bit too spicy, but again a good way to test Sri Lankan cuisine (though I am sure it is prepared much spicier for the locals). Part of the family are an old grandmother and three sons, who were a little too interested in keeping me company. The guest book was full of raving comments about the place and the people. At dark, I found the place to be quite spooky. It is not advisable to stay here as a solo (female) traveller, see my previous entry. The experience for a small group might be very different.


No comments: