Thursday, February 4, 2010

National Day

Negombo Beach, Sri Lanka

A perfect first day in paradise:

The princess woke up to the sound of waves from her mahagony bed in a tastefully furnished suite with a private terrace, only about 100 metres from the ocean.

Right after returning from the beach last night, I ran into the arms of another single (female) traveller. We chatted over a drink, then joined for dinner, finally exchanged numbers. The thesis that "noone stays alone for long in Asia" has already been proven. Why did I ever have any doubts?

Today is National Day in Sri Lanka and I celebrated it like this....

Extensive breakfast under palm trees, with real coffee and coconut water - all I need to be happy in the morning!


The waiter who climbed the tree to get me a king coconut later offered to take me into town where we bought some veggies and some fish.


After that, I met a monk at the Buddhist temple who gave me a tour, of course for a generous donation to rebuild the temple.


I enjoyed the afternoon swinging in the hammock, rocked by the wind and then took a walk at the beach, assertively turned away some beach boys, chatted to some Sri Lankan families, enjoyed another beautiful sunset, and settled for dinner in my lovely guest house.


Happy National Day, Sri Lanka!
It was a happy day for me.

Over dinner, some visitors from the UK and the US shared their frustrations of being stranded in Sri Lanka as they have trouble to re-enter India on their tourist visas and cannot catch their flights home... (Cheers, Isa!)

No comments: