Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Freedom

Colombo, Sri Lanka

Sitting next to Opa, I almost jumped up and down on my seat in view of the first coconut palmtrees. 'Yes, yes, yes!' my mind was saying. Through the window, I saw the wild Indian Ocean, miles and miles of sand beaches, lagoons, small houses and coconut palmtrees. Not as many as in Kerala, but enough to make me happy!

Have you ever experienced a friendly immigration officer, the type who welcomes you with a warm smile? Or a money exchange clerk at the airport who loves to breakdown the bills for you? Or perhaps a driver who does not try to rip you off int the first place?


Do you know what freedom is? To me it smells like a tuk-tuk breeze in the tropical heat, a mix of incents and burning garbage, smiling people on overloaded motorbikes, little children waving, wherever you smile you earn a bigger smile back. Freedom is to arrive and drop your bags, grab the camera and run out to the beach where children are playing in the sunset, and I just drop in the sand and watch the waves crashing in, letting go, feeling free.


3 comments:

clive said...

"wherever you smile you earn a bigger smile back" :)) Love it!
You couldn't have said it better!

Nora Hartenstein said...

Read more about my perfect first day, coming shortly... Smiles! :-))

Isabel said...

YES! I can feel in your words the breeze in the palmtrees, the golden sun beams dancing in the waves... I can taste your feeling of freedom!

Enjoy it, Norita, and don´t forget to count all your blessings! How wonderful the world is when you can fly freely to far away and sunny shores, while feeling safe in the knowledge that there is always a warm and loving home for you to return to. I have finally found this true for me too! I am happy :-)