Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tranquility

Ella, Hill Country, Sri Lanka

The train ride to Ella was stunning. The views were so breathtakingly beautiful, I even forgot to take any pictures! Upon arrival, I had to jump on the tracks. A friendly man pulled me up on the platform. Of course he was a tuk-tuk driver. But he did not attempt to rip me off.

View from Ella

The town is so small, you can walk through in a matter of minutes. Lovingly referred to as "downtown Ella", I felt at ease walking along the one street and stopping every few meters to speak to the people who own the small cafes and shops.

"Downtown Ella"
Dream Cafe - great dinner spot
Ella Village Restaurant
Nescoffee Cafe - great daytime hangout!
Nilmini Rest
This little mountain village is home to some of the hot spots in the country. Little cafes offer an excellent mix of Western and Sri Lankan food, wireless Internet, and funky sounds to swing to. Across the (relatively quiet) street are traditional tea shops and tiny all-you-need shops.


The view from my guest house up a steep hill is stunning. At Ella Gap is where the mountain range opens allowing a view on the hills rolling out towards the coast. To the left "Little Adam's Peak" and to the right "Ella Rock" make the picture perfect. Except for some easy hikes, there is not much else to do here. And that's the beauty of it!

Little Adam's Peak
Ella Rock
View to guest houseRice fields

My guest house has a huge terrace where the days pass by talking to fellow travellers over pots of ceylon tea. Here is where I released my thoughts and let the writing flow. And I just can't get enough of looking out to the mountains.


In Ella I found peace.

No comments: