Saturday, February 6, 2010

Closer

Traveled overland from Negombo to Kandy. The amount of care I received from some of the locals was an overwhelming experience. At least three people made sure that I got to the right place at the right time without any extra charges. All I invested was a warm smile and some genuine words. One friend handed me over to their next friend. My tuk-tuk driver finally made sure I got a direct bus connection to Kandy, with a 3.5 hour bus ride ahead. My luggage had to be stored underneath (thankfully the conductor did not give in to my pleading to take the backpack on the bus with me!). I found an aisle seat next to a lady and could even stretch my legs and relax. Not for long! After the first bus stop, the bus was jam-packed and I had the middle seat.


While absorbing every detail through the window, I enjoyed the ride through the tropical breeze. The speakers right above me blurted some Sri Lankan tunes making me feel like I am in the middle of a movie. I was thankful to have a seat while plenty of passengers, mostly young male Sri Lankans, had to squeeze in the aisle. Also, the middle seat turned out much better than the aisle seat because standing passengers were almost sitting on their laps. I mentally noted that this situation was not suited for anyone with a fear of physical contact to locals. Thinking further, I actually enjoyed being in touch amidst strangers. It felt as if I am in a cocoon, on an adventurous path that I cannot control, but instead I am forced to let go and mentally cut all strings attached.


As the bus was moving towards the mountains, the sun sent its golden rays across rice fields and banana plantations. The big leaves of the coconut palmtree reflected and multiplied the golden shine. By the time of sunset, I had moved over to the window seat. Everything seemed more intimidating now - the dark landscape, the flashing lights, and my seat neighbor who showed an increased interest to hold a conversation. I arrived in Kandy in the dark, and made sure to grab the next tuk-tuk, of course at a bargained price, to bring me to my thoughtfully pre-booked guest house.


The owners were awaiting me with a warm welcome. It was a bit like meeting your friends' parents after a long time. The dinner table was already set and I enjoyed conversations with travellers from France, Holland, and an old Sri Lankan who had emigrated to the UK. The food was a delicious three-course meal with soup, rice, striped papadam, lots of yummy vegetables, and very tender chicken breast. Travelling makes hungry!

No comments: