Monday, February 8, 2010

Pinnewala

The second day in Kandy, I woke up late and wondered what to do with the beautiful day. I decided for something very touristy, despite contradicting opinions about the elephant orphanage "Pinnewala" in Kegalle. I found my way to the bus station, that itself was an adventure. One of the guys I had asked for direction 'shadowed' me all the way to the bus station. He did not become annoying, but instead helped me find the right bus. Again, it seemed that someone wanted to make sure I am okay. I hopped on the driving bus and squeezed next to a lady who would later on, without me asking, collect all her change to enable me to pay for the bus (as all I had was a 1,000 Rupee bill and the fare was only 43 Rs.). Noone would ever bother in Europe, let alone make an effort by themselves and smile on top of it!

Blessed with a wonderful trip amongst locals, I arrived after 1,5 hours at Pinnewala, just in time for the daily bathing. While waiting for the elephants to exit the big gate and come walking down the village street towards the river, I started chatting to a couple next to me. Annette and Andreas have given up their jobs and home in Germany and are on a one-year trip through Asia. Needless to say, we connected very quickly and spent the rest of the afternoon together, talking about our travels, life, and the new-gained freedom. We sat down on a wide staircase in the shade. The sight of about 50-60 elephants in the river was fantastic. We enjoyed watching them play and bath, while continuing to exchange on our experiences. Wonderful people and overall a trip very much worth it!

Coming out of the gate

At the river

Friends
That close - love my shoes!

Welcoming us!

We are happy!

1 comment:

Annette + Andreas said...

Hallo Nora, du hast wirklich schoene Bilder von Pinnawela ins Nezt gestellt. Der Nachmittag mit dir war wirklich schoen und kurzweilig. Wir hoffen du triffst noch viele liebe Menschen auf deiner Reise. Falls du Lust hast mal eine Mail an uns zu schreiben, dann a.kuehl@gmx.de. Ausserdem haben wir eine genehmigung zur vorzeitigen Ausreise nach Indien bekommen. Sei gegruesst und umarmt von Annette und Andreas