Sunday, February 21, 2010

Travel Blues

Kandy, Sri Lanka

After uninspiring accommodations in Trinco and Anuradhapura, the chosen guest house in Kandy was a real palace. My eyes dived in the warm orange and red color combination of the sheets and curtains. I loved the view over the mountain range, the little stream behind the house, and the banana plant reaching over the attached balcony. I listened to the sounds of a nearby Buddhist temple and settled for some vegetable noodles on the roof terrace.

The next day, I walked the exhausting 30 minutes into the city, along one of the busiest roads with honking buses, trucks, three-wheelers and cars passing by. From the post office I sent the last few lines home before the travel blues hit me unexpectedly.

Whether it was the burning heat, the constant noise, the people pushing and pulling me into spending my money, or simply a bad day in my otherwise consistently happy journey - my mood was sinking below sea level. A few phone conversations with friends and family that day and the steady internet connection at my guest house that fully exposed me to 'the rest of my life' accelerated the process. My travel blues arrived with three symptoms:

1) Complete writer's block
2) Lost desire to use my camera
and - probably worst of all -
3) Inability to smile

The people around me did not assume that anything was wrong. Resisting my own mood swing, I continued talking to them. Over dinner, a Polish man shared the wildest stories from his ten-year trip around the world. He was a great entertainer to the group huddled around the table. Mirtek saved my day.

No comments: