Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Monkeymania

Dambulla, Sri Lanka

Back in Dambulla, I decided to visit the caves. Left my bag in a nearby restaurant and walked up the steep staircase. The caves are impressive to anyone who likes Buddha statues and ceiling paintings.


I used the quiet surroundings to plan my next move. Everyone was raving about Sigiriya, so I decided to head there next. Cheerfully I descended the hill. When I passed a bridge I spotted some monkeys - an everyday sight in Sri Lanka. I decided to approach them through an alternative passage and took some unique pictures. See for yourself!




Passionata - A love story

What is he up to?

She's getting pretty...
Oh! Right on...


Seconds later...
In the midday heat, my heavy backpack took a toll. I walked down the street, accompanied by a tuk-tuk driver who was keen to charge me 80 Rs on a short distance that costs 9 Rs on the bus. Though walkable, it was simply too hot to walk all the way to the main bus station. Finally I reached. The next bus was already waiting and due to leave only in half an hour. I was the first to enter the bus and stored my luggage with the driver. A young family entered and the man with very kind eyes spoke quite good English. He worked at a hotel resort in Sigiriya. We talked about all kinds of things during the trip and I realized how much I enjoyed travelling by bus. It's a unique opportunity to get to know the culture. The driver was great too, cautiously navigating around every whole in the street and taking into account his passengers' needs. What better way to seize the day.


No comments: