Thursday, January 21, 2010

No Coconuts

"You cannot enter the country before February 22nd."
"What?? But I have a valid multiple entry visa! You see?"
"As per visa restrictions, you will not be allowed to pass immigrations. You will need to leave."
"But where to? I just travelled 7,000 miles. I am meant to be here. My friend is waiting for me outside. And my luggage is already here. I left everything behind because I just wanted to make a surprise visit home. Visit my family for the holidays. Had I known this, I would have spend my Christmas here. You see?"
"As per government instructions, there should be a two month gap between two visits."
"But, I was never meaning to leave. It was spontaneous, unplanned, one of my wild ideas. You see?"
"Madam, please step aside. Other passengers are waiting."
"But, Sir, I just want to travel in your country. I brought chocolates as presents and a hammock to hang between two coconut trees. All for recreation purposes. You see?"

When I got off the phone with the embassy, I was laughing. I am not allowed to re-enter the country before end of Feb. A new regulation imposed by the government of India requires me to stay outside the country for at least two months. I was laughing because I did not expect that my surprise visit to Germany would cause that much surprise. And I was laughing because I imagined myself at the airport in Trivandrum keen to enter India (with no luggage, as my backpack is still waiting there!) and the immigrant officer denying me entry. Gladly, the above is just a fruit of my imagination. But only my last-minute attitude and a just-in-time message from my globetrotter friend saved me from wasting 600 Euro on an air ticket and ending up in a messy situation like that. What would I have done?

For a moment, I was upset and thought maybe I should not go back at all. So many other places to visit in the world... I thought about what to do instead, and called a friend in India. A whole other month to spend in Germany's freezing cold - no way! I need tropical heat, humidity, sun. A hammock between two coconut trees. Maybe I should catch a plane to Sri Lanka and explore, patiently awaiting the day of my potential return to Kerala.

Any better ideas?

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Yes - one better idea! Come to New Zealand... there's still one place free in my Van ;o)

Nora Hartenstein said...

Roadtrip - would love to! Wish NZ was a little closer... Enjoy!!