Friday, January 15, 2010

Inner Race

When I woke up this morning, I heard a loud knocking from somewhere. Very consistent. Tak-tak-tak-tak. Fast, impatient, permeable. Tak-tak-tak-tak. For a moment I wondered who could be the intruder. It sounded hollow, like someone desperately trying to seek my attention. That's when I noticed: the knocking sound was my own pulse! First I was irritated, then listened carefully. It seemed so loud, and much too fast for just having woken up. My eyes were not even open yet. It was no special day and I had no reason to be excited or nervous about anything at all. I could choose to stay in bed the whole day and noone would bother. I wondered if it had been beating this fast throughout the whole night. Then I got concerned. I listened to my pulse and thought about what might be the reason for it to be racing. Never in my life had I listened to my own pulse before. Was it because I do not allow myself enough sleep at night? Or because I push myself to spend hours in the virtual world instead of taking it easy in the real one? Maybe because of all the different things that were crossing my mind? Ha, that was the trigger. Now my mind was activated and joined the race. Impatiently, I turned around and buried my head under the bed cover in an attempt to escape my pulse and to arrest my thoughts, seeking refuge in dreamland.

No comments: