Saturday, March 13, 2010

Strangers

Half way through our journey, the bus driver slows his speed, while the conductor jumps off and runs towards a Buddha statue, bows and donates some coins while flying by. Next thing he grabs two small paper bags and jumps on the back of the bus. About ten seconds have passed and the bus has kept rolling. I smile at one of those typical Sri Lankan moments. But what is in the bags? I look for the conductor who is making his way towards the front of the bus. Still wearing my amazement, he catches my eyes and offers me the contents of his paper bag. I first deny politely, then curiously ask what it is. He signals to open my hands: peanuts! I have to stop him from giving me too much.

Three hours later we reach Colombo. I ask the conductor for the direction to find the airport bus. Colombo is an absolute nightmare when it comes to finding the right bus. That much I already know. He points down the road, gives me a smile and shakes my hand while I jump off the bus. I feel a small piece of paper in my hand which I don't open until much later. I already know what's coming. I shake my head in disbelief and concentrate on finding the bus.

In the afternoon heat, Colombo is full of noise, dust and too many men! When I am about to get annoyed, a young man turns around and asks if he can help. He walks me all the way to another bus stop in the opposite direction of where he was going. I have a hard time to keep up with his speed and am suspicious about his intentions, but at least he asks no questions. He stops the airport bus and I cannot thank him enough to be so kind without a hidden agenda. Thank you again stranger!

No comments: