Saturday, March 13, 2010

Principles - II

After seven hours I finally reach the airport. My friend is already there. I am kind of upset that I did not make it in time for her arrival. I asked her to wait inside for me to avoid the burning heat and people all over her offering transport. When I reach I notice I have to get an entry pass to get inside the arrivals hall. I consider this a security measure, run to the counter and request a pass. "130 Rs." "Excuse me?" "130 Rs." I explain that my friend is waiting inside and I just want to pick her up. A ping-pong of arguments starts. I am not only upset. I am late, hungry, tired, need to urgently use a bathroom, and I disagree. My whole bus journey from Tangalle to Colombo cost 177 Rs. Why would I pay 130 Rs. to walk 200 meters?! I am sent to the security. I should not do this on an empty stomach. It fuels even more of an argument. 130 Rs. can buy me a whole meal. I ask for the reason, request the manager, battle my ground, remind them that this is a lot of money in Sri Lanka. I will not give in on this. In the meantime, I text my friend for 7 Rs. and she comes walking out seconds later. I still find this ridiculous. When they remind me that Sri Lanka is a poor country, I nail them down: "Exactly!" and walk away. After some steps I stop to welcome and hug my friend. I apologize. She agrees with me.

No comments: